About Educational Solutions
Dr. Caleb Gattegno founded Educational Solutions in 1968 in New York City. For over 40 years, in over 40 countries we have been leading a new movement in education. Our purpose has always been to reinvent education such that failure is eliminated and the learning of any subject is no longer a matter of ability, only time.
We have been able to achieve this purpose:
1. With original research focusing on:
- Awareness and the powers of the mind
- The learning process
- The relationship between teaching and learning
2. By developing original products and materials for teachers and students
3. By testing and refining a new approach to teaching so that at every moment learning is maximized. We call this approach The Subordination of Teaching to Learning.
Why Are We Different?
Educational Solutions is different because we are pioneering a new movement in education. At the core of this movement are the findings generated by The Science of Education, the approach of Subordinating Teaching to Learning, and the teaching techniques and materials, which enable its application in the classroom.
The Science of Education
Dr. Caleb Gattegno proposed a bold new vision for education based on his insights that only awareness is educable in man. Gattegno envisioned that a Science of Education is possible and that the study of "awareness of awareness" be its focus. For nearly 50 years of his life he worked to elaborate, and make explicit this vision.
The Subordination of Teaching to Learning
Born out of Gattegno's work under the umbrella of The Science of Education, he furthur proposed an approach to teaching that does not interfere with learning processes. Gattegno often said, "I don't teach, I let them learn." He called this approach The Subordination of Teaching to Learning. When students work with our technologies, it has been shown that the learning of any subject is no longer a matter of ability, only of time.
The Teaching Techniques and Materials
Teaching techniques and materials are the technologies of The Science of Education. They are created out of a close interplay between theory, experiment, and practice in dozens of languages, with students of all ages and abilities working in various subjects. Our technologies and materials are unlike others, in the rigor by which they were developed, their appearance and use, and the spectacular results they enable.
What we do:
- Products: We create products for schools, teachers, homeschools, and parents. Our products are focused on core school subjects, learning to read and write, learning mathematics, and learning to speak foreign languages. Our brand names include Words in Color, Visible & Tangible Math, and The Silent Way.
- Training: We provide training in the Science of Education and the Subordination of Teaching to Learning. Training programs typically focus on improving the learning yield per measure of teacher-student contact time.
- Research & Development: We undertake research and development projects to improve teaching and learning. These projects are typically undertaken in partnership with public or private sector organizations.
Will you come to my school to do teacher training?
Yes! We would love to! We have training professionals available at various times throughout the year. Please phone or email for a quote.
When will I receive my order?
For customers in the USA and Canada, small orders are usually fulfilled within 1 week (5 business days). Large orders and custom orders will take a bit longer because of the time it takes to print. Customers in other locations should allow more time for shipping. If you ordered online, you will receive a tracking number in your email when the package has been sent.
If you are ordering for your class, please order well in advance, as sometimes it is not possible to rush an order.
Why was my order split into two shipments?
In order to keep our prices as low as possible, we print our books "on demand." This means we stock very few books in our offices, and typically place an order with the printer when we recieve your order. Your books are then shipped directly from the printer, and other items are shipped from our offices. Because the goal is to save everybody money, you only pay one shipping charge.
Can you put my school's logo on the materials?
Yes! For a small customization fee, we can include your logo on the materials. In the past, we have only done this with Reading Primer books, but we are willing to hear your ideas. Please call or email with your request.
Do you give discounts on bulk orders?
Yes. The discounts differ between charts and books, and based on quantity. Please call or email to receive a quote.
I am looking for a book/chart/video in another language. How can I find it?
If you can't find the item on our store, don't worry, we probably have your item somewhere in our offices and warehouses. Send us an email and we'll let you know if we are in the process of reproducing the item, are able to sell an original version, or cannot meet your request at this time. Since there were so many translations and versions created over the decades for math, literacy, and foreign languages, we prioritize reproductions based on our notion of global demand.